Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Folk Music & Nature--A Wonderful Combination


The used book store I frequent also carries cd's and vhs, etc. I try to remember to check out the cd section, especially the kid's section.

I scored a great find the last time and I didn't even realize it until later. The cover looked cute and it sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. It couldn't have turned out better. The songs are well done. Not cheesy or overly loud. They are played with all sorts of instruments (banjo, harmonica, etc) and have some great imitations of the animals' actual sounds. We've really enjoyed listening to the stories too. The first one I enjoyed was about the guardians of the water. It's a great environmental story. The one we recently listened to had us all quiet as mouses in the van. It's about a black rat snake that Mr. Elliot had in his back yard. You won't believe what happens!

You can find the cd at Native Ground Music where they have samples to listen to (although I couldn't figure out how to play the ones from this cd because the file is RAM and what plays that???). Amazon also has his cds but doesn't have any sample music.

I'm hoping to at least get one more of his. This is something I don't mind listening to. Most of the children's music put out these days is grating, nauseating, boring or a combination of the three. This isn't.

I plan on sharing a couple more kid's cds we've enjoyed. I hope that my reviews help you to find something that you can sing along with too.

1 comment:

live4evermom said...

I love it when I find an unexpected treasure.

By the way, did you see your spanish phrase of the day: Caminar con pies de plomo

English Translation: To proceed caustiously

Now that one I don't agree with. Plomo is lead. I wonder how they got proceed cautiously from having lead feet.

Anyway, I got off track there for a bit. hehehe Happens every now and then.