Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Potty Success

Due to the nature of the subject, expect some 'potty' words. :D

I'm constantly amazed at how things work out. Pooh potty trained in one week (numbers 1 & 2) the month he turned six. I did expect that, due to his autism. I was familiar with the late training aspect.

However (and that's a big however) I never expected it to take almost 5 years for Tigger my 'nt' child. He finally potty trained this month in a matter of 3 days. He'll be 5 in February. So i'm left to conclude that it isn't autism for my boys but sensory issues. I know that it wasn't connected this past spring when i tried training Tigger. I would ask him to try to pee and he would squeeze himself to try to get something out. This is a smart kid, but the potty sensations just eluded him. Sometime he would tell me he had a poopy diaper when it was just pee and vice versa. So what's a mom to do? I just had to let it go. After all, if the promise of a pirate party didn't inspire any motivation, what would? LOL

For any of you moms who may be despairing over potty training, here's an interesting article on the sensory issues involved in the whole process. (the only one i found i might add) I may or may not have previously mentioned that I did start noticing some signs of sensory disintegration in Tigger. He started with the chewing--clothes, toys, etc. I already knew he was bouncy. So i had to go with the fact that he needed more nutrition wise and more activity wise before his system would calm down enough for him to key in with his body's needs. Fortunately, it's worked, he's successful and very proud of himself and we will soon be having a great pirate party (as soon as it's warm enough).

Argh!!

No comments: