Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Whole Lotta Frog-Lovin' Goin' On!

It was the most amazing frog show I'd ever seen. I felt as if I was at the edge of the Nile River right before God sent the 2nd plague to the Egyptians. LOL Ok, really, most of these are toads but still. This is also something I photographed at the end of March. I took close to 60 photos so be thankful I've only chosen my top 10 to share. ;D

The noise from all of these guys was pretty loud. I'd never been able to just sit and watch how they make their calls before.

Notice the color variations. From the sound of it, they were mostly all American Toads.

All that is, except for a few very shy Bullfrogs. I was barely able to get their photos. As soon as I moved in their direction, they went in hiding. The mating toads could have cared less who was around.

The amount of eggs in the water was stunning. Masses and masses of strings of them. If people ate these like they do caviar, we could have done a really good business. :P

Hanging out waiting for his chance at a female.

This just gives you a little idea of the orgy we watched going on.

These guys were not only wrapped in eggs, we actually saw the eggs spurting out. Like I said-Amazing!

With an older cousin's help, Tigger got brave enough to start catching them.

The Toad Whisperer.

We saw several 'fights' over females too. The males who are on the female must defend their position by kicking.
I think I'm going to put a reminder on my calendar to head to the same spot next spring for another show! Waaaaay more interesting than TV!!!

1 comment:

walking said...

Wow! What an awesome day for nature study!!!!