Monday, May 12, 2008

Our Trip

The whole vacation went very well. I was amazed at how well both the boys did, especially in the traveling part. We drove thru the night to get to Miami. Pooh didn't go to sleep until about 1:30 in the morning. We finally figured out that he was waiting until he was sure we were in the state of Florida before relaxing! LOL Up until Tigger went to sleep, we did have to stop for hourly potty breaks though. It made me glad that we decided to go at night. I ended up telling them both they had to lay off the drinks. I was afraid it would take us thru till the next night if they didn't. he he

Miami was beautiful!! We had perfect weather the whole time down there. Mid 80's and not much in the way of humidity. We roasted and basted ourselves on the beach, hit the Metro Zoo (free due to our reciprocal zoo membership card) and visited with all the family. Ate Nicaraguan Baho which is something like a stew, but that's sort of a mild word for something like that. We also ate at Pollo Tropical! I love that place! It's sort of a latin fast food restaurant. You get succulent chicken, moros y cristianos (black beans and rice) and fried yucca with a garlic sauce. MMMM good!! Also, a place to gain ten pounds. ;D We went to Key Biscayne which is a state park and rode these cart type vehicles, i don't even know what they're called. But two people pedal and the kids are on for the ride. The boys loved it and I worked off that fried yucca i had eaten.

Then we were off to Orlando for their treat. Sea World!!! We bought a one day ticket but got in for two, so we were able to hit pretty much everything. Some things twice, such as the Clyde and Seamore show. It was a hit for us for two reasons: 1. The whole thing is a pirate adventure story (both boys seriously love pirates) and 2. before the show, you get a mini-show with a Mime. The boys thought he was funny even though you know they didn't get all the innuendos. Pooh got very emotional over Shamu when he was able to sit close enough to really enjoy the show. (the first time was a bust because we didn't get seats) He got to meet one of the trainers too. He cried for about 10 minutes off and on just because it was so moving for him. He's always loved the ocean and everything about it, especially the whales and sharks. So you can bet he brought home a stuffed Shamu. ;D Pooh finally, after some debating, decided to go on the Journey to Atlantis ride. It scared him witless and afterwards he repeatedly said (with a little smile) "I'm never going on that ride again!" LOL Tigger was equally terrified at the kiddie roller coaster Shamu Express. I guess I don't have any evil canivils on my hands. ROFL AND, I got pictures of both their horrified faces. It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Then we were off for a brief visit with my mom and sister and then separately my Dad and his wife. The boys enjoyed seeing their other grandpa (first time for Tigger) and we visited the beach there as well. I think by the time we got there they were tired though. Once the Sea World bit was over, they kind of started vegging out. The King and I had a nice, relaxing visit at my dad's before we headed back home.

Oh and I forgot that when we were in Orlando we visited Downtown Disney. We ate at the Rainforest Cafe. What a hoot the kids were when the thunder and animals started making all their noises. I think we were the loudest table there. Sorry!!! ;D Another great place is the Lego store. We finally found a kit of just lego people. It was about 32 different lego people (occupations not star wars guys lol) in one box. That was the greatest find because Pooh and Tigger always want people on their creations. Trying to buy one person at a regular store you have to buy a whole kit, and they're not cheap. The boys also got some pirate paraphernalia at one of the other stores there. Pooh found a great hat!

We ended up getting home way later than what we expected due to a surprisingly pleasant discovery. Did you know that Jekyll Island is only 15 minutes off I95?!? You shouldn't miss this treat!! I asked the King if we could stop off at some kind of park around 4 in the afternoon so the boys could run off some energy. We hit the Brunswick GA area at that time and, after asking at a gas station, discovered this gem. We took our Subway sandwiches and picnicked out on the beach. The boys, of course, went in fully clothed to the ocean. It was okay though, because i had brought all our beach towels with us and had changes of clean clothing. Instead of freaking out about it, I just took pictures. :D We found some sand dollars and had a beautiful walk along the shore. We stayed for about 3 hours and would definitely go back there again. It's a great area for a pit stop when you're traveling. Beats a rest area by a few thousand miles.

It's taken me about two weeks but I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting back to normal (despite some tornado scares and starting an anti candida diet :O) . Maybe I'll be able to get back into the blogasphere a bit more regularly.


1 comment:

The Glasers said...

We always pick unusual places to visit instead of rest areas. One time we stopped at a nature park near a gorge for a walk, and a turkey vulture flew right over our heads. We have seen places like Davy Crockett's cabin and saw a fort that we read about in a living book.