Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fairy Tale Decisions

I did a little looking around about Hans Christian Anderson and some of his fairy tales. The reason that I have trouble finding the 'moral of the story' is because, a lot of the time, there just isn't one. Evidently, he was a pretty cynical guy, disillusioned with the world and just presented stories in the way he saw life. Which would be why some of the stories are not really my cup of tea.

However, he wrote some famous tales such as The Ugly Duckling, The Emperor's New Clothes and The Steadfast Tin Soldier which I would really like to hear. Also, as I mentioned in the previous post on fairy tales, I don't mind bad things happening (murder and mayhem LOL) I was just under the impression that most fairy tales had some sort of moral. (silly me!)

My decision is to continue with what we're doing. We listen to each story. Then I turn off the cd and we discuss it, sort of a joint narration. If one of the stories is just too much (because Tigger is in the van after all) I can just skip it. I'm also going to eventually check out Andrew Lang's Fairy Tales from our library. I would like to see the difference in the presentation of the tales AND I read somewhere that his tales are from around the world which I really like. I really love checking out world folk tales too.

Hey, so far the Princess on the Pea and Thumbelina have had happy endings!! (not really a moral but at least there is some happiness between the grandmother killings he he)

1 comment:

walking said...

Aesop's fables often had morals, but not fairy tales. It is like th real world where bad things happen to good people and vice versa!